DOVIA’s own Michele Baker, CVA was honored with the GIVE Award for a Volunteer Management Professional.
The Governor’s Initiative for Volunteer Excellence (GIVE) Awards Luncheon was held on April 11 at the MIssissippi Museum of Art. Every year, Volunteer Mississippi, in partnership with the Office of the Governor, honors the accomplishments of Mississippians who have given exemplary volunteer service to their communities. GIVE Award recipients are presented with a beautiful award while their inspiring stories are shared.
Welcome to 2016, DOVIA Mississippi!
Welcome, too, to the 16 current members of DOVIA Mississippi – it’s not too to join for 2016. There are plenty of programs left, including April’s GIVE Awards ceremony. Renew (or join) here.
Also check out the minutes from the first two meetings of 2016 in our Archives. See you in March!
Hello, DOVIA Friends!
Hope we’ve seen you at recent DOVIA meetings, but just in case you weren’t able to make it, be sure to check out the meeting notes – and supplementary materials – from select 2015 meetings in the Archives.
Also check out out newly updated Membership Listing. Please join me in a very special welcome to new members who joined since the summer: Stacy Crain (Jackson Zoo), Kelli Nicholson (Hospice Advantage – Jackson) and Tara Lindsey (Stewpot Community Services).
The final meeting of 2015 will be November 19 at 8:15 AM at Manship House Museum. We haven’t updated DOVIA’s strategic plan since 2013, so join us to see what we said we wanted to do (see the 2013 Strategic Plan here), and help us choose what we will do in 2016. DOVIA will also hold elections for 2016 officers that day – watch your emails for a chance to nominate an officer – and enjoy some delicious holiday snacks. Be sure to attend!
Special thanks to Ann Taylor and Karen at the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science for this morning’s amazing and FUN behind-the-scenes tour of the aquariums at the Museum! (We had planned a meditation walk in the garden, but wet weather and muddy, swampy grounds changed our plans a bit.) Thanks, too, for the delicious breakfast!
- Born Free update: 799 Flag Chapel Road (former site of Born Free’s residential program) is FOR SALE. Contact Fran Baker at 601-278-4460 to inquire.
- Good Samaritan Center’s annual fundraiser, a golf ball drop from a hot air balloon, is coming up on July 4! To purchase a ball for charity, visit www.goodsamaritancenter.org
- Center for Pregnancy Choices is holding its fundraiser, a Tri-athalon Sprint. Visit www.iamathlete.com
- On Sept. 9, Tougaloo College is holding its Community Service Fair from 10:00 – 11:30 AM. The same day, Tougaloo is hosting a Community Service and Partnership Development Workshop. DOVIA is co-sponsoring this Workshop.
- Mississippi Boychoir auditions begin August 1. No previous singing experience required; just a love of singing and a willingness to learn. Open to boys aged 6-18. Sign up for a free audition here: www.mississippiboychoir.org
- Department of Archives and History is offering Kids’ Camps in June – July. Sign up quick at http://mdah.state.ms.us/new/learn/students/kids-camps/
- Kris Beatty, director of Volunteer Greater Jackson (http://volunteergreaterjackson.org/), is seeking stats on volunteering. Get in touch!
- “Wolf to Woof” opens May 30 at the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science; also check out Snake Day on June 2!
Treasurer’s Report: as of May 20, we have $2,637.37 in the bank
Remember the upcoming workshops sponsored by DOVIA:
- Grant Writing Made Easy: Financing Your Vision (June 25-26, 2015) – $79 for members
- Creative Visioning: A Road to Strategic Planning (July 10, 2015) – $49 for members
- Fundraising 101 (July 17, 2015) – $49 for members
- Attend all three for just $169!
Special thanks to everyone who came out on a cold Thursday to Good Samaritan Center in the Millsaps Arts district! More special thanks to DOVIA President Joanna Puddister King for hosting and for the delicious breakfast (and tour of Good Sam!).
= = = = =
Imagine a world where people wake up each morning inspired to go to work…
Imagine a world in which trust and loyalty are the rule, rather than the exception…
This is possible! It all starts with speaking and acting from your “Why.” Michele Baker presented “Finding Your Why” from the books and works of Simon Sinek. Below are resources from that meeting:
Good luck finding your own personal WHY!
The incoming officers for 2014 are:
- President: Ann Taylor, MS Museum of Natural Science
- Vice President for Marketing: Michele Baker, Crossroads Film Festival
- Vice President for Membership: Elizabeth Coleman, MS Department of Archives & History
- Vice President of Programs: Claire Hawk, MS Children’s Museum
- Co-Secretaries: Barbara Beavers & Jay-Tea Leggett, Center for Pregnancy Choices
- Treasurer: Fran Baker, Born Free of Mississippi
Congratulations to all the new officers!